Thursday, July 25, 2013

Haddo's Delight

One of the wonderful tobacco blends I brought from the states was Haddo's delight by G.L. Pease.  According to the website:
This is a stout blend consisting of several grades of Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful and unprecedented blend for the true perique lover!
Haddo's, more than any other blend in the range, has developed an almost cult-like following. It has inspired music, written and recorded by Apalachian dulcimer performer Chris Carlisle, and even poetry!
Softer, fuller and more voluptuous than a Boticelli.
Flavor and finesse surpassing a '29 Lafite
Complexity that would shame a Mozart sonata.
Haddo's, before thy diaphanous cloud, I fall prostrate!!
-Bear Graves
If you haven't, yet, and love perique, give it a try. But, be careful, as you, too, might fall victim to its charms and begin composing sonnetts.

As you can infer from the above I had heard great things about this blend and decided it was time for me to branch out.  I had attempted a few VaPer blends early on (Virginia/Perique) but they didn't sing for me.  I've been a pretty committed English/Balkan fan.  The more Latakia the better.  As a reference one of my favorite tobaccos is Da Vinci by Cornell & Diehl which is 75% Latakia.  

I decided to step away from that narrow view of pipe tobacco and attempt some new varieties.  This is the 2nd in that endeavor.  The first was a Navy Flake by C&D.  I really enjoyed it and it was a good blend for newbies.  This is an entirely different thing.  It was complex, delicious, and the way the flavor profiles shifted through the bowl made it very difficult to identify what it tasted like.  It delights in being smoked slowly and carefully.  She deserves your attention and care as she can get nasty if things get too hot.  

I would become a card carrying member of the Haddo's Delight fan club except for one small issue.  I have read a few people get throat irritation from smoking Perique.  I never concerned myself with it, until now.  Unfortunately if I do not frequently imbibe a palette cleansing beverage of some kind the back of my throat gets tense  and if I allow things to continue 5 to 10 minutes I actually begin to dry heave.  Somewhat less dignified than smoking a briar with a delicious Islay wearing my imagined cravat by a likewise figmentary hearth.  So although I extort all who have not to give this tobacco a chance, I will not give it a second.  I also have another Perique blend to try in the coming months, which hopefully does not cause the same reaction.  I will finish the tin and remember it fondly but alas my Latakia and Oriental blends are whispering their comforting and less abrasive call.

No comments: